Sunday, December 18, 2011

Someone I can trust - Isaiah 9:7

Someone I can Trust!
December 18, 2011 - Advent 4
Isaiah 9:7

Introduction
  • When I was still little, my dad had a workbench
  • In my mind’s eye it was very high up, of course it was only at dad’s waist level
  • Later on, at that workbench, I would learn to use a coping saw, and learn some elementary woodwork
  • But when I was still little, dad lifted me up and set me on the workbench. It seemed so high up
  • Then dad stood in front of me and told me to jump.
  • I was scared stiff
  • But I jumped, and dad caught me
  • I trusted that my dad would not let me fall
  • How often in life are we faced with situations and we have to trust someone?
  • As I grew up, though, I learned not to trust
  • I went through experiences where I learned to expect the worst
  • There were benefits to expecting the worst, it enabled me to put up a defense and make preparation, so I could limit the damage
  • This was useful in later life when I worked as the personal assistant to an international publishing director
  • We would enter into multi-million dollar agreements with major printers
  • One of my assignments was to read the fine print in the contracts, looking for the loopholes, anything that could damage us.
  • So my defensive stance was a benefit in that area.
  • But so often it was not a benefit but a handicap
  • It meant that to trust someone was a major issue
  • I was a very defensive person.
  • Thankfully, Jesus set me free from this attribute, and today I generally believe the best of people
  • Though occasionally I still find myself expecting the worst to happen, and later find out this had no substance to it at all, it was that old mistrust coming up again.
  • Today is the fourth week of advent. In previous weeks we have examined Jesus as Healer, as Savior, as Baptizer with the Holy Spirit.
  • Today we will look at Jesus as our King

Jesus born to be King
  • Isaiah 9:6-7
  • Jesus was born to be King
  • As we go through the Old Testament, we see the record of many kings of Israel and Judah
  • Usually, their son would be born to be king
  • But that was not enough to determine what kind of king he would be
  • A good king was often followed by a bad king
  • Occasionally a bad king was followed by a good king
  • Jesus was born to be King
  • But this prophecy tells us he is going to be a good king
  • He will reign with justice and righteousness
  • This means that he will be a king you can depend upon
  • So often in election campaigns you wonder, which of the names you can trust to follow through on their promises.
  • Trust is an issue in politics
  • But Jesus is going to be the leader we can trust
  • Isaiah 11:1-5
  • Jesus will deal with people according to their personal choices
  • Those who live God’s way will be blessed
  • And those who refuse to allow Jesus to be king will be taught the error of their ways
  • Trust is a major issue
  • At one level, people will learn by experience that God’s way is best
  • As they see the good results of submitting to Jesus’ rule, they will flock to Israel to learn from Jesus
  • Isaiah 2:2-5
  • All this is yet future

Jesus as our personal King
  • But how about today?
  • Jesus was born to be King in our life today!
  • He is trustworthy
  • Isaiah 42:1-7 – a bruised reed He shall not break
  • This passage was used by Jesus to characterize his ministry
  • Matt 12:20
  • Jesus came to give help to those who are weary and downtrodden
  • We may feel like we cannot trust people any more
  • But Jesus came to give us hope, and when we trust him in our lives, we experience freedom in our lives
  • He does not tie heavy loads on our shoulders, but he carries our burdens
  • Matt 11:28
  • His relationship with us today, and with the whole world when he returns to reign over this earth, is based on love
  • Jesus love is sacrifial love – he died to give us freedom
  • Rom 5:8
  • But it takes personal surrender to Him
  • Romans 10:9-10 Confess Jesus is Lord
  • We are told faith without works is dead
  • We can believe Jesus is alive, but that is not enough
  • We have to step out in trust, in surrendering ourselves to Him
  • Surrender is a hard word to pronounce if we have been betrayed
  • But Jesus is different
  • All human beings have feet of clay
  • But Jesus is faithful and he will guide and help us achieve the finish line
  • Philippians 1:6

Conclusion
  • Human beings let us down
  • They damage the trust that we were born with as babies
  • But Jesus has shown himself faithful and trustworthy
  • He showed this by dying for us 2000 years ago
  • He showed it by opening our hearts to the gospel
  • He shows it each day as He answers our prayers and as He helps us along this journey called life
  • And He will show his faithfulness that day when we stand before Him and He tells us “Well done good and faithfull servant, enter into the joy of your Lord
  • So let go of your inhibi6tions and choose to surrender to your king
  • Jesus is the King who was born to reign in our lives, and who is promised to one day reign as King over the whole earth

No comments:

Post a Comment