Sunday, February 27, 2011

Humility in God's Presence - Isa 66:2

Humility in God's Presence
February 27, 2011
Isaiah 66:2

Introduction
  • A truly humble man is hard to find, yet God delights to honor such selfless people.
  • Booker T. Washington, the renowned black educator, was an outstanding example of this truth.
  • Shortly after he took over the presidency of Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, he was walking in an exclusive section of town when he was stopped by a wealthy white woman.
  • Not knowing the famous Mr. Washington by sight, she asked if he would like to earn a few dollars by chopping wood for her. Because he had no pressing business at the moment, Professor Washington smiled, rolled up his sleeves, and proceeded to do the humble chore she had requested.
  • When he was finished, he carried the logs into the house and stacked them by the fireplace. A little girl recognized him and later revealed his identity to the lady.
  • The next morning the embarrassed woman went to see Mr. Washington in his office at the Institute and apologized profusely.
  • "It's perfectly all right, Madam," he replied. "Occasionally I enjoy a little manual labor. Besides, it's always a delight to do something for a friend."
  • She shook his hand warmly and assured him that his meek and gracious attitude had endeared him and his work to her heart.
  • Not long afterward she showed her admiration by persuading some wealthy acquaintances to join her in donating thousands of dollars to the Tuskegee Institute. - Our Daily Bread.
  • Why is humility such an issue for God?
  • Is God after our accolades?

We are reminded of God's greatness
  • He owns everything, and made everything
  • He doesn't need me
  • Psalms 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
  • It would be like me expecting an ant to praise me
  • Psalms 73:28 But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.
  • Psalms 92:1 It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praise to your name, O Most High
  • In praising God I am reminded of my place
  • When I know my place I am working in unison with my Master
  • There is harmony
  • This is not culturally acceptable, today we feel a need to be all we can be, top of the heap, in charge
  • But it is good to know our place and be able to function at different levels
  • Lamentations 3:27 It is good for a man that he bear the yoke of his youth.
  • Jesus was servant to all
  • Jesus exemplified humility when he washed the disciples feet
  • If Jesus, being God, can show humility to the ants he created, I too need that same attitude

We recognize our need to be teachable
  • I will listen and obey
  • One is the teacher and one is the student
  • Psalms 86:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
  • Psalm 119 - many verses about teach me
  • Verse 12, 26, 33, 64, 66, 68, 108, 124, 135
  • He is the potter I am the clay
  • Isaiah 64:8 But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand

Accepting God's sovereignty
  • When we accept God's sovereignty and Lordship over our life, the conflict between God and ourselves, ceases
  • Peace enters
  • Isaiah 45:9 Woe to him that strives with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashions it, What are you making? or your work, He has no hands?
  • Psalms 104:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
  • Isaiah 25:1 O Lord, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.
  • Job 1:21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

Conclusion
  • Humility makes it possible for us to have intimate contact with God
  • It moves pride, rebellion and enmity out of the way
  • It makes personal revival possible
  • Is there any who would want that intimate contact with God?
  • Pray to remove pride and self-will
  • Let's relax in God's presence
  • Be happy to be humble

No comments:

Post a Comment